Under the direction of Ana M. Duarte, MD, FAAD, the Division of Dermatology - the Children's Skin Center, P.A. - at Nicklaus Children's Hospital, formerly Miami Children's Hospital, focuses on the latest medications and technology available for the specialized treatment of all skin disease and disorders in infants, children, adolescents and young adults: atopic dermatitis, contact dermatitis, acne, vitiligo, hemangiomas, port wine stains, congential nevi, atypical (dysplastic) nevi, epidermal nevi, tattoo removal, skin cancer and skin infections.
In 1999, the Center began its vitiligo patients on topical PUVA treatment with excellent results. In addition, patients with recalcitrant atopic dermatitis unresponsive to conventional treatment have been started on treatment with topical FK506 with significant improvement in their symptoms. Also, patients with complicated deep hemangiomas have been started on a high-dose steroid treatment protocol with a significant decrease in their morbidity.
The Laser Center sees an ever-increasing number of patients who seek treatment of their port-wine stains, angiomas, superficial hemangiomas, hypertrophic scars, and warts with the vascular dye laser. Using the ultra-pulsed CO2 laser for the treatment of epidermal nevi, angiofibromas, nevus sebacei which are extensive can be accomplished with minimal scars. Patients with Nevus of Ito and Ota, as well as tattoo patients, are treated with the Q-switched yag laser with the expected excellent results.
The Division of Dermatology holds its annual skin cancer-screening program each May. This is a complete skin examination for the early detection of squamous cell carcinomas as well as basal cell carcinomas and melanomas. This screening is free of charge and is open to members of the community.
The Children's Skin Center, P.A. provides the following services:
- Cryosurgery for the destruction of warts, actinic keratoses, seborrheic keratoses
- Electrodessication for the destruction of warts, irritated seborrheic keratoses, pyogenic granuloma
- Curretage of molluscum contagiosum
- Patch testing for allergic contact dermatitis
- Phototherapy (UVB) for psoriasis, and severe eczema
- Acne surgery, acne glycolic acid peels
- *Smart Peel (micro demabrasion), blue light treatments
- Intralesional corticosteroid treatment of acne cysts, alopecia areata, keloids
- Cosmetic Procedures: Botox, Restylane, Sculptra, Fraxel Laser
- Minor surgical procedures including: skin punch and shave biopsies, excisions of atypical and irritated nevi, congenital nevi, excision of acne scars, excision of irritated cysts, nevus sebacei, localized epidermal nevi and skin cancers as well as the incision and drainage of abcesses.
Laser surgery center
- Vascular dye laser for port wine stains, ulcerated cavernous hemangiomas, pyogenic granulomas, telangiectasias, cherry angiomas, capillary hemangiomas, keloids, hypertrophic scars, and warts.
- Laser hair removal
- Laser Tattoo removal
- Ultrapulse CO2 Laser for removal of epidermal nevi
- Topical PUVA for treatment of vitiligo
Inpatient Dermatology Service treatment of more severe skin conditions including severe atopic dermatitis, psoriasis, curtaneous infection, TEN, SJS, SSSS, etc.; specialized dermatologic nursing care on 3 South; and whirlpool therapy for severe skin infections, eczema, psoriasis, leg ulcers.
- Operating Room services for larger surgical cases, including excision of congenital nevi, cysts, and the treatment of extensive port wine stains and particularly those involving the periorbital area.
- Consultation Service covering the emergency room, wards, PICU, NICU, OPC