The Division of Dermatology - the Children's Skin Center, P.A. - at Nicklaus Children's Hospital, focuses on the latest medications and technology available for the specialized treatment of all skin disease and disorders in infants, children, adolescents and young adults.
Expand the box below for a detailed list of conditions.
In 1999, the Center began its vitiligo patients on topical PUVA treatment with excellent results. In addition, patients with recalcitrant atopic dermatitis unresponsive to conventional treatment have been started on treatment with topical FK506 with significant improvement in their symptoms. Also, patients with complicated deep hemangiomas have been started on a high-dose steroid treatment protocol with a significant decrease in their morbidity.
The Division of Dermatology holds its annual skin cancer-screening program each May. This is a complete skin examination for the early detection of squamous cell carcinomas as well as basal cell carcinomas and melanomas. This screening is free of charge and is open to members of the community.
- Cryosurgery for the destruction of warts, actinic keratoses, seborrheic keratoses
- Electrodessication for the destruction of warts, irritated seborrheic keratoses, pyogenic granuloma
- Curretage of molluscum contagiosum
- Medical management with propranolol, oral/intralesional corticosteroids
- Topical treatment with Aldara
- Patch testing for allergic contact dermatitis
- Phototherapy (UVB) for psoriasis, and severe eczema
- Acne surgery, acne glycolic acid peels
- Smart Peel (micro demabrasion), blue light treatments
- Intralesional corticosteroid treatment of acne cysts, alopecia areata, keloids
- Cosmetic Procedures: Botox, Restylane, Sculptra, Fraxel Laser
Minor surgical procedures including:
- Skin punch and shave biopsies
- Excisions of atypical and irritated nevi and congenital nevi
- Excision of acne scars, irritated cysts and nevus sebacei, localized epidermal nevi and skin cancers
- Incision and drainage of abcesses
Laser Surgery Center
The Laser Center sees an ever-increasing number of patients who seek treatment of their port-wine stains, angiomas, superficial hemangiomas, hypertrophic scars, and warts with the vascular dye laser. Using the ultra-pulsed CO2 laser for the treatment of epidermal nevi, angiofibromas, nevus sebacei which are extensive can be accomplished with minimal scars. Patients with Nevus of Ito and Ota, as well as tattoo patients, are treated with the Q-switched yag laser with the expected excellent results.
- Vascular dye laser for port wine stains, ulcerated cavernous hemangiomas, pyogenic granulomas, telangiectasias, cherry angiomas, capillary hemangiomas, keloids, hypertrophic scars, and warts.
- Laser hair removal
- Laser Tattoo removal
- Ultrapulse CO2 Laser for removal of epidermal nevi
- Topical PUVA for treatment of vitiligo
- Candela Vbeam Perfecta (pulsed dye laser)
- Candela Gentlelase (Alexandrite laser for recalcitrant lesions)
- FRAXEL (for residual scarring)
Inpatient Dermatology Services
Treatment of more severe skin conditions including severe atopic dermatitis, psoriasis, curtaneous infection, TEN, SJS, SSSS, etc.; specialized dermatologic nursing care on 3 South; and whirlpool therapy for severe skin infections, eczema, psoriasis, leg ulcers.
- Operating Room services for larger surgical cases, including excision of congenital nevi, cysts, and the treatment of extensive port wine stains and particularly those involving the periorbital area.
- Consultation Service covering the emergency room, wards, PICU, NICU, OPC