At Nicklaus Children's, we understand that a trip to the hospital can be an emotional experience for parents and their children. Being informed about what to expect during a hospital visit can help reduce stress for the patient and the entire family.
All visitors should follow the safety and visitation guidelines in order to ensure safety and confidentiality of our patients.
General Hospital Visitation Hours:
9:00 a.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Limited Visitor Procedures
November – April
Hospitalized children are more susceptible to respiratory infections than adults. Due to current higher-than-usual rate of upper respiratory infections in our community, we ask that only parents, healthy siblings over the age of 12 years and healthy designated adults visit patients.
Designated visitors are limited to two (2) persons in addition to parents or other designated caregivers, making the total limit four (4) visitors in the room at any one time.
Visitors to Critical Care and Oncology Units, or to any child with a chronic illness are encouraged to receive the influenza vaccine prior to visiting. All visitors must be free of signs and symptoms of infectious disease, including cough, runny nose, rash, vomiting and fever. Anyone exposed to chicken pox or other infectious disease should also refrain from visiting the hospital. Remember to wash your hands or use alcohol gel frequently during your visit.
Guidelines for visitors
Family Centered Care through visitation is promoted at Nicklaus Children's Hospital. Family members are partners in our mission to provide the best, safest care possible. Please follow these guidelines when planning to visit a hospitalized child:
- Parents, adult primary caregivers, grandparents, extended family, and friends are welcome to visit during general visitation hours.
- All visitors should be in good health and free from symptoms of contagious disease and known exposures (flu, chicken pox, etc).
- Intensive Care Units, Bone Marrow Transplant, Special Care Nurseries, Surgical Services and Psychiatry have more restrictive guidelines about visitation. Please notify the nurse for assistance on visitation requirements into these areas.
Guidelines for children visiting the hospital
- Children under 12 years of age may visit given that they are under adult supervision at all times.
- Children under 12 years of age will be asked to present proof of up-to-date immunizations. Please bring this documentation with you to present to the nurse on the day of your visit.
Nicklaus Children's Hospital is committed to provide visitation in accordance with our non-discrimination policy which provides access without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, disability, age, religion, marital status, citizenship, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, and/or other legally protected classification.
Patient and Guest Relations
Patient and Guest Relations representatives are available to assist patients and families by answering questions, explaining hospital policies, customer service and helping to resolve issues related to hospital services.
Representatives help families understand their rights and responsibilities and assist in the resolution of complaints, grievances, and treatment disagreements. They are also part of the multi-disciplinary team of care for patients and families and are available to work with families who express concerns about the hospital, its staff and its services.
To contact a Patient and Guest Relations representative, please call 786-624-4400.