The International Birthmark Institute
The International Birthmark Institute (TIBI) at Nicklaus Children's Hospital, is a comprehensive multi-specialty center of excellence for the evaluation and management of all birthmarks with special expertise in vascular lesions in infants and children.
A birthmark is a discolored and/or raised area of the skin that is apparent at birth or within a few weeks of birth. Birthmarks are made up of malformed pigment cells or blood vessels and require careful removal and assesment by a team of specialists.
Diagnostic Medical Services
- Diagnosis and management of simple and complex vascular lesions.
- Medical management with propranolol, oral/intralesional corticosteroids,
- Topical treatment with Aldara
- Laser surgery
Lasers Treatments offered
- Candela Vbeam Perfecta (pulsed dye laser)
- Candela Gentlelase (Alexandrite laser for recalcitrant lesions)
- FRAXEL (for residual scarring)
A Team Approach
The center is composed of a multidisciplinary team of healthcare professionals that span the following pediatric disciplines.
- Plastic Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Hematology Oncology
- Interventional Cardiology
- Orthopedic SurgeryNeuro Surgery
- Cardiac Surgery