If your child’s surgery is scheduled near the beginning of the school year or during the school year, the following will be helpful in easing his/her return to school. Arrangements for home schooling will be made through your child’s school district. Be sure all home schooling paperwork is signed before surgery.
- Arrange to get assignments from your child’s teachers.
- Arrange for your child to leave class five or 10 minutes early in order to get to the next class safely.
- Arrange an excuse from physical education.
- Request two sets of books, one for school and one for home.
- Inform the school of your child’s absence and surgery prior to the surgery so adjustments can be made in the attendance policy.
- Request access to elevators.
- Consider a shortened school day when you child first returns to school and gradually work up to a full day.
- Ask your Child Life Specialist for a school re-entry letter.
It is very important that you contact your child’s teachers and school before surgery to create a plan and make sure that everyone involved with your child has the same information and expectations.
|For more information about Scoliosis and Spinal Disorders at Nicklaus Children's Hospital or to make an appointment, please call (305) 662-8366.