Important COVID-19 Information
Nicklaus Children’s Hospital has developed a plan to gradually reopen facilities across our community with modified practices to ensure the health and safety of the children and families in our care. This includes the rehabilitation services we provide to our patients.
Several of our outpatient center locations throughout South Florida remain temporarily closed as recommended by state and federal agencies due to the novel COVID-19 virus.
Rehabilitation appointments have been temporarily postponed or modified as follows:
Critical care patients requiring rehabilitation services will receive care at one of three locations, depending on your proximity to the nearest center. A member of the rehab services department will call you to coordinate your care and upcoming appointments at one of the following locations:
Non-critical rehabilitation appointments have been postponed until further notice and/or rescheduled if deemed medically necessary.
As we follow our phased approach protocols, here is what our patient families can expect during this time of transition:
- All patients will be screened prior to and upon entry to any of our Nicklaus Children’s facilities and/or outpatient settings.
- Patients will be scheduled with 15 minutes between patients to ensure social distancing and time to exercise hygiene procedures. An enhanced registration/check in process will be instituted.
- We are limiting visitors to one (1) caregiver with their child to practice social distancing and with minimal wait times in the waiting areas.
- For children with special needs such as those with autism or other medical conditions that require additional caregiver support, we will make accommodations and exceptions on a case-by-case basis.
- Since some of our facilities continue to remain closed, we will have limited staffing.
- Limited Telehealth visits are now available depending on the reason for the rehabilitation service and the coverage provided by your insurance provider.
If you have questions about your child’s rehabilitative care, including whether Telehealth is a viable care option for your child, or if your child is exhibiting any signs of regression, please call our Rehabilitation Services line at 877-255-8437 and follow the prompts to select your child’s typical therapy location to leave a message. A member of our team will return your call promptly. Our staff is checking messages daily.
Designed for the Unique Needs of Children
At Nicklaus Children's Hospital we offer a full range of bilingual diagnostic and therapeutic services to meet the needs of infants, children and adolescents. All pediatric rehabilitation services are provided by a team of professionals who focus on the medical, therapeutic and educational needs of the child and family. Nicklaus Children's Hospital rehabilitative program includes both inpatient services offered to patients in the hospital’s neonatal, pediatric and cardiac intensive care units as well as outpatient care available at the hospital’s main campus and other South Florida locations.
A Select Team of Specialists
The first step in rehabilitating a child is to provide a team of pediatric rehabilitation specialists who understand the physical, emotional and psychological needs of children and their families at varying stages of life. The specialists include:
- Occupational therapists
- Physical therapists
- Speech language pathologists
After a comprehensive evaluation, a treatment plan is developed with the child’s family to enable patients to achieve maximum functional levels as quickly as possible.
Comprehensive Programs and Clinics
- Handwriting is Fun (Doral)
- Hand Therapy Clinic
- Juvenile Arthritis Clinic
- Positioning/Seating Program
- Wheelchair Clinic
- Yoga for Kids (Doral)
Therapeutical Treatments and Services
- Constraint Induced Movement Therapy
- Cranial Remodeling Orthoses Treatment
- Feeding and Swallowing Disorders Treatment
- Interactive Metronome
- Serial Casting (West Kendall and Doral)
- Teaching Optimal Peer Interaction and Social Skills (TOPS)
Therapeutical Treatments and Services
Conditions We Treat
We also provide pediatric therapy for these conditions:
- Auditory processing disorders
- Fine and gross motor coordination deficits
- Fluency disorder
- Neurological-based disorders
- Orthopedic rehabilitation
Scheduling Therapy Sessions
Each child is seen for an initial evaluation by one of our therapists. The therapist writes an evaluation report and a plan of care based on your child’s individual needs, diagnosis, and age. After all insurance authorizations are obtained, the Nicklaus Children's Hospital scheduling department will contact the parents to coordinate all the therapy appointments at one of our children's rehabilitation centers.
Schedule an initial consultation today