Important COVID-19 Information
Nicklaus Children’s is rigorously applying protocols recommended by the Centers for Disease Control regarding the novel COVID-19 virus. Our priority, as always, is the health and safety of all of our patients and visitors.
Due to the current changes with the COVID-19 virus and its potential impact on our community, we are proactively enacting changes to our Rehabilitation and Outpatient care settings effective March 18th, 2020.
At this time, our rehabilitative team will be focusing all efforts on our acute and critical patients. For patients with non-acute needs, your child’s therapist will provide a home program to support the continuation of your child’s care during these next two (2) weeks, or longer during this COVID-19 situation.
What to expect:
If your child has acute/critical needs and will be resuming rehabilitative services during this time of adaptable scheduling, please expect the following:
- All patients will be screened prior to and upon entry to any of our Nicklaus Children’s facilities and or outpatient settings.
- Due to our limited visitor requirement, a maximum of two primary caregivers can accompany a patient who has an appointment at any of our clinics/centers or medical offices. Please do not bring extra family or friends to these visits (especially children under 12 years old). All visitors should perform hand hygiene upon arrival.
- Any sick patients and/or accompanying family members arriving at any of our Nicklaus Children’s facilities will have their appointment canceled, and rescheduled for a later date when they are no longer ill.
At this time, we encourage you to contact our Rehabilitative Service line at 877-255-8437 for updates and communication specific to the reopening of our facilities and return to normal business operations.
Designed for the Unique Needs of Children
At Nicklaus Children's Hospital we offer a full range of bilingual diagnostic and therapeutic services to meet the needs of infants, children and adolescents. All pediatric rehabilitation services are provided by a team of professionals who focus on the medical, therapeutic and educational needs of the child and family. Nicklaus Children's Hospital rehabilitative program includes both inpatient services offered to patients in the hospital’s neonatal, pediatric and cardiac intensive care units as well as outpatient care available at the hospital’s main campus and other South Florida locations.
A Select Team of Specialists
The first step in rehabilitating a child is to provide a team of pediatric rehabilitation specialists who understand the physical, emotional and psychological needs of children and their families at varying stages of life. The specialists include:
- Occupational therapists
- Physical therapists
- Speech language pathologists
After a comprehensive evaluation, a treatment plan is developed with the child’s family to enable patients to achieve maximum functional levels as quickly as possible.
Comprehensive Programs and Clinics
- Handwriting is Fun (Doral)
- Hand Therapy Clinic
- Juvenile Arthritis Clinic
- Positioning/Seating Program
- Wheelchair Clinic
- Yoga for Kids (Doral)
Therapeutical Treatments and Services
- Constraint Induced Movement Therapy
- Cranial Remodeling Orthoses Treatment
- Feeding and Swallowing Disorders Treatment
- Interactive Metronome
- Serial Casting (West Kendall and Doral)
- Teaching Optimal Peer Interaction and Social Skills (TOPS)
Therapeutical Treatments and Services
Conditions We Treat
We also provide pediatric therapy for these conditions:
- Auditory processing disorders
- Fine and gross motor coordination deficits
- Fluency disorder
- Neurological-based disorders
- Orthopedic rehabilitation
Scheduling Therapy Sessions
Each child is seen for an initial evaluation by one of our therapists. The therapist writes an evaluation report and a plan of care based on your child’s individual needs, diagnosis, and age. After all insurance authorizations are obtained, the Nicklaus Children's Hospital scheduling department will contact the parents to coordinate all the therapy appointments at one of our children's rehabilitation centers.
Schedule an initial consultation today