Steps to Prepare for Your Child's Surgery
Things to Avoid:
- Do not give your child aspirin products, ibuprofen (Motrin®, Advil®, etc.), naproxen (Aleve®, Naprosyn®, etc.), non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS), or herbal remedies for two weeks prior to surgery.
The Day Before Surgery:
- The Same Day Surgery nurse will call you before surgery to inquire about your child’s medical history.
- The Same Day Surgery nurse will call you again between 3 p.m. and 9 p.m. the night before the surgery to give you the time and instructions for surgery.
- If you miss that call, please call 305-666-6511, ext. 3950.
- Please follow the no-eating-after-midnight instructions the night before surgery. This includes no milk or juice.
- If you or your child do not follow the no-eating-ordrinking instructions as indicated to you by your nurse, surgery will be delayed or cancelled.
- Your pediatrician must complete a surgical clearance 24 to 72 hours prior to the surgery date.
- If your child needs clearance paperwork from a different specialty, please fax clearance to your surgeon’s office.
- In the event that your child is sick and is not cleared by your pediatrician, please notify the surgeon’s office immediately.
- Your child may be required to complete a surgical clearance by your pediatrician/surgeon.
- The registration office will call you one to two days before surgery.
- A pre-surgical orientation is available to all families. Please contact the Child Life Department at 305-666-6511, ext. 3932. It has been noted that patients who participate in this class are more relaxed prior to their surgical procedure.
- No blood work is needed for surgery unless otherwise instructed by your pediatrician or surgeon.
- A urine sample may be required prior to surgery. The registrar will provide a specimen cup for collection.
- If a court order is needed for your child, please bring in documentation on the day of surgery.
- If your child’s insurance coverage changes prior to surgery, please call the surgeon’s office immediately with the new information.
Tips for Day of Surgery:
- Add travel time to account for traffic and parking delays.
- Please make sure you have arranged transportation for before and after surgery.
- Upon arrival, please report to patient access for registration.
- Please make sure your child does not wear:
• Any jewelry (including all piercings)
• Contact lenses (bring eyeglasses)
• Make-up and hair accessories
• Hair gel/spray
- When planning your child’s surgery day, please keep in mind that our surgical service team will make every effort to keep your child’s scheduled surgical time. However, since we cannot predict the uncertainties which can occur the day of surgery due to surgical emergencies, please plan on dedicating the entire day at the hospital.