Steps to Prepare for Your Child's Surgery
Things to Avoid:
- Do not give your child aspirin, ibuprofen (Motrin®, Advil®, etc.), naproxen (Aleve®, Naprosyn®, etc.), non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS), or herbal remedies for two weeks prior to surgery.
The Day Before Surgery:
- The Same Day Surgery nurse will call you before surgery to inquire about your child’s medical history.
- The Same Day Surgery nurse will call you again between 3 p.m. and 9 p.m. the night before the surgery to give you the time and instructions for surgery.
- If you miss that call, please call 305-666-6511, ext. 3950.
- Please follow the no-eating-after-midnight instructions the night before surgery. After midnight, your child may be able to have Gatorade® or Pedialyte® only as directed by the nurse. No milk or juice after midnight.
- If you or your child do not follow the no-eating-ordrinking instructions as indicated to you by your nurse, surgery will be delayed or cancelled.
- Your pediatrician must complete a surgical clearance 24 to 72 hours prior to the surgery date.
- If your child needs clearance paperwork from a different specialty, please fax clearance to your surgeon’s office.
- In the event that your child is sick and is not cleared by your pediatrician, please notify the surgeon’s office immediately.
- The registration office will call you one to two days before surgery.
- A pre-surgical orientation is available to all families. Please contact the Child Life Department at 305-666-6511, ext. 3932. It has been noted that patients who participate in this class are more relaxed prior to their surgical procedure.
- No blood work is needed for surgery unless otherwise instructed by your pediatrician or surgeon.
- If a court order is needed for your child, please bring in documentation on the day of surgery.
- If your child’s insurance coverage changes prior to surgery, please call the surgeon’s office immediately with the new information.
Tips for Day of Surgery:
- Add 15 minutes to travel time to account for traffic and parking delays.
- Please make sure you have arranged transportation for before and after surgery.
- Upon arrival, please report to patient access for registration.
- Please make sure your child does not wear:
• Nail polish and artificial nails
• Any jewelry (including all piercings)
• Contact lenses (bring eyeglasses)
• Make-up and hair accessories
• Hair gel/spray
Dr. Leopoldo Malvezzi explains why Nicklaus Children's Hospital is the most trusted source for surgical treatment of children with conditions like appendicitis.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 786-624-2778 or toll free 1-888-624-2778.