Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Nicklaus Children's Hospital operates a twenty-bed inpatient adolescent psychiatric unit and an outpatient service for children, adolescents, and their families. The program will be tailored to the interest of the students.
Educational Objectives and Methodology:
The one month elective in psychiatry will include following:
- Structural family theory and therapy including direct observation of family therapy sessions.
- Daily observation of adolescent group psychotherapy sessions followed by theoretical discussion.
- Participation in the consultation-liaison program including interviewing patients and their parents under direct supervision.
- Familiarization with the use of psychopharmacological agents.
- Observation of the administration of psychological tests.
- Participation in the outpatient service including observation of treatment and liaison with the school system.
- Exposure to specialized therapeutic groups (i.e., human sexuality group, assertiveness training group, art therapy, music therapy, and vocational therapy.
The students will be evaluated based on their participation.