Child Life Mission
The child life department strives to help children grow through learning by valuing the importance of family, recognizing their individual strengths, building a strong foundation of support, commitment and ultimately providing hope.
Child Life Values
The child life department supports the Nicklaus Children's Hospital values and guiding behaviors of being passionate in serving the child and family, respecting and supporting each other, fostering a safe, caring and healthy environment, being accountable, acting with integrity, and collaborating. In addition to these values, we embrace the cultural diversity of families by advocating and communicating their uniqueness with the healthcare team and enhancing the growth and development of children through the use of play.
You can count on a Child Life Specialist to provide patients and families with:
- Education on diagnoses, procedures, and treatment plans.
- Preparation for tests, procedures, and/or surgeries.
- Support during invasive procedures through the use of distraction and coping techniques.
- Encouragement for participation in therapeutic, expressive, and recreational activities in the Child Life playroom or at bedside.
- Opportunities to engage in medical play.
- Advocating for the unique needs of patients and families.
- The Promotion of positive coping skills of patients and families in the hospital and following discharge.
- Respect for the family as a working unit to promote family-centered care.
- An Environment that embraces the cultural diversity of families.