The Sickle Cell/Hemoglobinopathies Comprehensive Care Program, offered through the Cancer and Blood Disorders Institute at Nicklaus Children's Hospital, has been providing treatment for children with sickle cell disease and other hemoglobinopathy for more than 25 years. Over 300 patients are cared for on a regular basis.
Under the direction of our team of highly experienced pediatric hematologists, children with sickle cell anemia and other hemoglobinopathies are monitored closely and receive comprehensive management, including but not limited to the coordination of EKGs, echocardiograms, eye examinations, radiology tests with special emphasis on transcranial doppler. Preventive measures include immunizations, prophylactic antibiotics and vitamins. Ophthalmology, endocrinology and cardiac evaluations are performed on a regular basis.
Treatments and Procedures
Conditions We Treat
Sickle cell anemia treatment and special services include:
- Hypertransfusion management for patients following strokes and other catastrophic complications
- Hydroxyurea treatment is provided as early as 9 months of age prophylactically to minimize the recurrent painful crises, acute chest syndrome and other complications
- Bone marrow transplantation is the only curative therapy that is available for children who fulfill the criteria.
- Iron chelation (removal of iron from the body) is provided for patients with elevated iron levels
- Transcranial Doppler study for early detection of risk for stroke
- Genetic counseling for patients and family
- Consultation services with subspecialists who support prevention and management of complications, including ophthalmologists, cardiologists, pulmonologists, orthopaedists, radiologists, nephrologists and more.
- Smooth transition to adult facility at the age of 21 years
The program is committed to improve the quality of life and productivity of children and adolescents with sickle cell disease and other hemoglobinopathies through a comprehensive, patient/family focused health care delivery system that integrates local community resources. Our emphasis is to provide quality and comprehensive services with screening, diagnostic testing, assessment, evaluation, educational services, counseling and supportive services to individuals and families.