Comprehensive Epilepsy Center
A Global Leader in Pediatric Epilepsy Care
Nicklaus Children's Brain Institute is an internationally recognized leader in caring for children and infants with epilepsy, welcoming patients from all over the world. The South Florida-based program offers the latest medical and surgical interventions to help children with epileptic seizures. For children whose seizures cannot be controlled medically, the program has among the largest experience in the nation in conducting pediatric epilepsy surgery, using the latest minimally invasive surgical methods for children including MRI-guided laser ablation surgery (Visualase).
NAEC Level 4 Epilepsy Center
Nicklaus Children's Hospital Comprehensive Epilepsy Center is accredited by the NAEC as a Level 4 epilepsy center. Level 4 epilepsy centers have the professional expertise and facilities to provide the highest-level medical and surgical evaluation and treatment for patients with complex epilepsy.
Reasons to Choose Nicklaus Children's Brain Institute for Pediatric Epilepsy Care
- The Brain Institute has offered new and investigational medicines to treat epilepsy for more than 30 years.
- The Comprehensive Epilepsy Center is the first center in the world to directly map the brains of infants and children as a first step toward successful pediatric brain surgery.
- We offer specialized pediatric treatment for epilepsy associated with tuberous sclerosis and ion channel disorders.
- We are one of the few centers that conduct epilepsy surgery on children who have normal MRI scans. These present the greatest challenge for the surgical team.
- Our team has pioneered minimally invasive techniques for pediatric epilepsy surgery, including Visualase, a laser technology to remove brain tissue that causes seizures.
State-of-the-Art Technology for Pediatric Epilepsy Care
Technology available for patient evaluation and treatment through the Comprehensive Epilepsy Center include:
- 3-D brain imaging
- Computer-modeled diagnosis of epilepsy source
- MRI-guided laser ablation surgery (Visualase) – minimally invasive epilepsy surgery with laser-guided probe
- Precision surgery made possible through intraoperative brain mapping
- Functional MRI to localize vital brain functions to be avoided at surgery
- Neuro-intensive monitoring of children with severe epilepsy
- Comprehensive genetic diagnosis of epileptic disorders
- Partners with Florida International University neuro-engineering program
- Use of optical imaging to help define epileptic tissue
Take an in-depth look at the pioneering treatments and compassionate care provided at Nicklaus Children's Brain Institute, and follow one patient's success after treatment.
For more information about the Nicklaus Children's Hospital Brain Institute®,
or to make an appointment, please call