The Nicklaus Children’s Hospital Dance Medicine Program is devoted to providing comprehensive medical and performance based care to dancers.
Our team consists of orthopedic surgeons, physical therapists and athletic trainers. We strive to improve and maintain the health and wellbeing of the dancer through evidence based injury prevention and performance enhancing screenings, evaluations and training.
Comprehensive Programs and Services
Conditions We Treat
Pointe Readiness Screening
A physical screening designed to determine if the dancer has adequate strength, balance and range of motion to safely begin pointe.
- Includes a 15-minute screening with personalized recommendations for pointe preparation. Screening provided at school, studio or at one of Nicklaus Children’s Outpatient Centers. $25.00 per dancer
Dance Injury Prevention Screening
A comprehensive biomechanical motion analysis and physical evaluation of a dancer’s risk of injury. Designed to identify areas needing improvement to reduce the risk of injury and enhance performance.
- Team/Studio Screening: Includes a 30-minute motion analysis and physical screening with individual injury risk profile. Screening provided at school or dance studio. $50.00 per dancer
- Individual Screening: Includes a 60-minute motion analysis and physical assessment with individualized results summary and training recommendation package, provided at select Nicklaus Children’s Outpatient Centers. $130.00 per dancer
Dance Injury Prevention Training
A training program designed to improve strength, range of motion, balance and neuromuscular control to enhance performance and reduce the risk of dance related injuries. Ideal for teams and individual athletes, provided at one of Nicklaus Children’s Outpatient Centers.
- 30-minute training session: $40
- 45-minute training session: $60 (May be split by up to 2 athletes)
- 60-minute sessions: $80 (May be split by up to 4 athletes)
Performance Training Packages
- 10-package of 45-minute training sessions: $510
- 10-package of 60-minute training sessions: $680
Power & Posture
Specialized training for dancers to improve body awareness, core stability and power for optimal dance performance. These classes will teach dancers proper muscle activation, controlled landing techniques and postural alignment to help them train and perform safely.
- 60-minute class led by a Sports Health Dance Specialist offered to local dance studios.
- Available to dancers ages 8 and up.
- Cost to dance studios: $55.00/class (Maximum of 15 dancers per class)