Parents, as summer approaches, it's vital to keep your child's skin safe from the sun. Here are five quick sun safety tips:
- Tip one: Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher. This protects against both UVA and UVB rays that can harm the skin. Remember, UV rays can still cause damage even on cloudy days!
- Tip two: Apply sunscreen generously to all exposed areas, including often overlooked spots like the ears, neck, and tops of the feet. Remember to reapply every two hours, especially if your child is swimming or sweating.
- Tip three: When enjoying the sun, dress your child in cool and comfortable clothing that is made from a tight weave. Look for those that are labeled with an Ultraviolet Protection Factor. Also ensure your child is wearing a hat and some fun sunglasses too.
- Tip four: Do your best to keep babies younger than 6 months of age out of direct sunlight. Even when under an umbrella or in the stroller, apply sunscreen and keep them in appropriate clothing that covers the body.
- Tip five: Set a good example by practicing sun safety for yourself. Not only will this protect your skin, but it also encourages your child to develop healthy sun protection habits.
Remember, by following these tips you can ensure your child enjoys the sun safely while keeping their skin healthy.
Published on: 6/7/2023