Transport Available Around the Clock
The LifeFlight® transport service is based in Miami, Florida and provides specialized advanced life support and critical care patient transport by ground and air ambulance 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The service area includes South Florida, the Caribbean, and Central and South America.
LifeFlight is an inter-facility transport service transporting patients to intensive care units, emergency departments, and the medical surgical units. On request, LifeFlight® also transfers patients from Nicklaus Children’s Hospital to other facilities and also handles third-party transfers for patients seeking transport to other facilities.
Pediatric and Neonatal Critical Transports
LifeFlight® transports patients representing a broad range of ages, including:
- neonatal patients (birth to 28 days; preterm through term)
- infants (29 days to 1 year)
- pediatric patients (age 1 through 17 years)
- and adult patients (18 years and older).
- Non-pediatric patients are not transferred to the Nicklaus Children’s main campus.
Critical Care Life Support Systems
The LifeFlight® program safely transports more 4,000 infants and children per year to Nicklaus Children’s Hospital. Patients come from local clinics and hospitals as well as from referring centers throughout Florida, the Caribbean, and South and Central America.
LifeFlight® carries some of the most advanced life-support systems such as:
- neonatal and pediatric ventilators
- intubation equipment
- cardio-respiratory and hemodynamic monitors
- infusion devices
- whole-body hypothermia capabilities
- transport phototherapy capabilities
- transcutaneous Pa02 monitors
- emergency medications
- transport incubators and other equipment necessary for IV therapy
- cardio-pulmonary resuscitation
- care of the critical patient at altitude