Surgery can be a very stressful experience for families. Nicklaus Children's Hospital, formerly Miami Children's Hospital, offers a Spinal Fusion Program developed specifically for families of children and teens scheduled for spinal fusion surgery. This Spinal Fusion Program gives all families an opportunity to come to the hospital, ask questions about surgery and hospitalization, visit key areas of the hospital such as the Operating Room, and meet some of the staff.
Families and teens attending the Spinal Fusion Program will learn about:
- The admitting process, the surgical area, the intensive care unit, and the activity room
- The medical equipment they will see during their hospital stay
- How patients move after surgery – in bed, sitting, standing and walking
- Different techniques to help with the patient’s level of comfort, including relaxation techniques and medication
- The important role families play as part of the healthcare team.
|For more information about Scoliosis and Spinal Disorders at Nicklaus Children's Hospital, formerly Miami Children's Hospital, or to make an appointment, please call (305) 662-8366.