Your Hospital Room
In the hospital, you will be assigned to a room where you will stay throughout the duration of your admission at Nicklaus Children's Hospital. This is your room and you can bring items with you to make it feel "like home." In addition to essentials, you may want to bring some sources of entertainment, as well as special items that make you feel comfortable. Here is a list to get you started:
- Favorite blanket or comforter
- Personal items:
- toothbrush, toothpaste, lotion, deodorant, hair ties, hair brush or comb, sanitary pads, etc (Yes, the hospital provides these, but it is nice to have your own)
- Stuffed animals, toys
- Pictures of your friends, family and pets
- Laptop/tablets/cell phones and battery charger
- Lip balm
- Slippers with a non-slip bottom
What Clothing Should you Bring?
The clothing you bring should be very loose, comfortable, and very easy to put on and take off. Here are a few suggestions:
- Choose shorts or pants with a loose waistband. Boxers work great!
- Button-up or oversized shirts are good choices that will eliminate the need to lift your arms over your head when changing.
- You may also wear hospital gowns the entire time, if you prefer. It’s your choice!
More Helpful Hints
- Do not wear any jewelry the day of surgery.
- If you have long hair, try to avoid leaving it loose. A good way to prevent the tangles associated with lying in bed for several days is to part your hair down the middle and put it into two French braids. Regular braids also will work.
- Bring things to help pass the time (music/headphones, magazines, card games, etc).
- If you want to keep a journal, this is a great time and place to work on it.