If your child is having surgery at Nicklaus Children's Hospital let our Child Life department help prepare you and your child for their surgery.
Your pre-surgical orientation will include…
- Tour of specific areas to familiarize them with the sights and sounds of the hospital
- Helpful information and resources for siblings and parents
- Opportunities to answer questions your child may have about his/her upcoming hospital experience
The Child Life Pre-Surgical Orientation Program is offered for children ages 3 and up. All attendees must be registered before arrival for the tour.
Things your child should avoid before surgery
- Do not give your child aspirin products, ibuprofen (Motrin®, Advil®, etc.), naproxen (Aleve®, Naprosyn®, etc.), non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS), or herbal remedies for two weeks prior to surgery.
The day before surgery:
- The Same Day Surgery nurse will call you before surgery to inquire about your child’s medical history.
- The Same Day Surgery nurse will call you again between 3 p.m. and 9 p.m. the night before the surgery to give you the time and instructions for surgery.
- If you miss that call, please call 305-666-6511, ext. 3950.
- Please follow the no-eating-after-midnight instructions the night before surgery.
- After midnight, your child may be able to have Gatorade® or Pedialyte® only as directed by the nurse.
- This includes no milk or juice after midnight.
- If you or your child do not follow the no-eating-ordrinking instructions as indicated to you by your nurse, surgery will be delayed or cancelled.
- Your pediatrician must complete a surgical clearance 24 to 72 hours prior to the surgery date.
- If your child needs clearance paperwork from a different specialty, please fax clearance to your surgeon’s office.
- In the event that your child is sick and is not cleared by your pediatrician, please notify the surgeon’s office immediately.
- The registration office will call you one to two days before surgery.
- A pre-surgical orientation is available to all families. Please contact the Child Life Department at 305-666-6511, ext. 3932. It has been noted that patients who participate in this class are more relaxed prior to their surgical procedure.
- No blood work is needed for surgery unless otherwise instructed by your pediatrician or surgeon.
- A urine sample may be required prior to surgery. The registrar will provide a specimen cup for collection.
- If a court order is needed for your child, please bring in documentation on the day of surgery.
- If your child’s insurance coverage changes prior to surgery, please call the surgeon’s office immediately with the new information.
Tips for the day of your child's surgery:
- Add 30 minutes of travel time to account for traffic and parking delays.
- Please make sure you have arranged transportation for before and after surgery.
- Patients 18 years and older must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- Upon arrival, please report to patient access for registration.
- Please make sure your child does not wear:
• Any jewelry (including all piercings)
• Contact lenses (bring eyeglasses)
• Make-up and hair accessories
• Hair gel/spray
To help prevent surgical site infections please refrain from the following:
- Do NOT shave surgical site area
- Bathe with an anti-bacterial soap the evening to surgery. If surgery is scheduled in the afternoon, bathe the morning of surgery.