Convulsions - first aid - series
Procedure, part 1
- When a seizure occurs, the main goal is to protect the person from injury. Try to prevent a fall by laying the person on the ground in a safe area. The area should be cleared of furniture or other sharp objects.
- Cushion the person's head.
- Loosen tight clothing, especially around the neck.
Procedure, part 2
- The person should be turned on his or her side in case vomiting occurs. This keeps the vomit from being inhaled into the lungs.
- Look for a medical I.D. bracelet with seizure instructions.
- Stay with the person until help arrives. Meanwhile, monitor the person's vital signs (pulse, rate of breathing).