Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Nicklaus Children’s Hospital! Nicklaus Children's volunteers make a difference with the patients and families in the hospital and outpatient centers by providing comfort, care, and unexpected joy, and by supporting the professional staff throughout Nicklaus Children's Health System. The Volunteer Resources Department orients, interviews, trains, and places all qualified applicants who wish to volunteer.
Our volunteers are passionate about helping children throughout the community by providing compassionate and empathetic care & support across a variety of volunteer programs. Volunteers are also in alignment with Nicklaus Children’s Health System mission and values and operating statement.
We enthusiastically welcome individuals of all backgrounds and abilities, and offer a wide variety of volunteer opportunities to meet the interests, needs, and desired experiences of all volunteers.
If you believe you would be a great addition to the NCHS volunteer team – please review the volunteer requirements below and use the provided link to begin the application process.
- All health and safety checks must be in compliance, we do not offer any exemptions on the vaccine requirements
- MMR/TB testing/Varicella/TDap/annual influenza
- Background check for individuals 18+ (Please note we do not accept court ordered community service hours.)
- Volunteers require a minimum commitment of 6 consecutive months 80 total hours // 3 hours per week
- Volunteer applications can take up to 4-6 weeks for processing
- All volunteers will have to attend a mandatory orientation, along with any other trainings required for their volunteer assignment
Children & Family Experience
- Volunteers provide engagement opportunities through play at the bedside for admitted children
- Volunteers provide engagement opportunities through play at –play areas, lobbies, common areas, etc., family resource center support
- Provides engagement opportunities through in house radio station
- Volunteer provides affection, love, and warmth through touch to admitted patients
- The use of therapy dogs to enhance the patient experience
- Assists with administrative duties such as filing, organizing, data entry, phone calls, and additional clerical tasks
- Provides support for special events across the health system
- Teens assist with engagement and support programs in structured shifts at varying points in the year