If your child is having surgery or a cardiac catheterization at Nicklaus Children's Hospital, formerly Miami Children's Hospital, let our Child Life Department help prepare you and your child for their surgery.
A Child Life Specialist will provide all of the following:
- Surgical teaching sessions using child friendly language.
- Medical play sessions to enhance understanding of medical equipment and supplies.
- Tour of specific areas to familiarize them with the sight and sounds of the hospital.
- Helpful information and resources to parents and siblings.
- Opportunities to answer any questions the child may have about their surgery or what will happen when they come to the hospital.
The Child Life Pre-Surgical Orientation Program is offered every Tuesday afternoon at 4:30 p.m. You need to reserve so please register by calling (305) 666-6511 ext. 3932. The program is designed for children ages 3 and up.
Visit the Child Life Department for more information on services provided.
While you are at Nicklaus Children's, your family is an essential part of the care team. We will include you in all aspects of healthcare delivery and your participation is encouraged at all times.
It is our hope that this pre-surgery booklet will help prepare you and your child for surgery. If you have any specific questions about your child’s procedure, his or her physician will always be happy to help.
Free Educational Presentations for Patients and Parents
There is a lot of information to take in. This is why we’re partnering with you to give you as much information as possible about your childs health. Click here to find out more.