Nickaus Children’s Hospital and Safe Kids Worldwide wish your family a Safe and Happy Fourth of July. All fireworks, including sparklers, can cause severe burns and scars.
Nicklaus Children’s Hospital (MCH) and Safe Kids Worldwide wish your family a Safe and Happy Fourth of July. In 2012, more than 136,000 children across the country, including more than 67,000 children 4 and under, were injured due to a fire or burn and treated in emergency rooms. All fireworks, including sparklers, can cause severe burns and scars.
Here are some tips to keep you and your family safe during the holiday weekend:
Leave fireworks to the professionals:
- The best way to protect your family is to not use any fireworks at home. Instead, attend public fireworks displays and leave the lighting to the professionals.
Be extra careful with sparklers:
- Little arms are too short to hold sparklers, which can reach temperatures of up to 1,200 degrees.
- Let your young children use glow sticks instead. They can be just as fun but they don’t burn at a temperature hot enough to melt glass.
- Closely supervise children around fireworks at all times.
Take necessary precautions:
- Do not wear loose clothing while using fireworks.
- Never light fireworks indoors or near dry grass.
- Point fireworks away from homes and keep away from brush, leaves and flammable substances.
Be prepared for an accident or injury:
- Stand several feet away from lit fireworks. If a device does not go off, do not stand over it to investigate it. Put it out with water and dispose of it.
- Always have a bucket of water and/or a fire extinguisher nearby. Know how to operate the fire extinguisher properly.
If a child is injured by fireworks, go to a doctor or hospital to seek immediate care. If an eye injury occurs, don’t allow your child to touch or rub it, as this may cause even more damage. For more information and additional safety tips for your family, please visit www.safekids.org