Child Life specialists will assess children’s psychosocial and developmental needs in order to create an individualized plan of care through advocacy, education, and empowerment; thereby normalizing the hospital environment and promoting best possible outcomes with a focus on family-centered care.
The Child Life specialists supports the Nicklaus Children's Hospital values and guiding behaviors of being passionate in serving the child and family, respecting and supporting each other, fostering a safe, caring and healthy environment, being accountable, acting with integrity, and collaborating. In addition to these values, we embrace the cultural diversity of families by advocating and communicating their uniqueness with the healthcare team and enhancing the growth and development of children through the use of play.
Child Life specialists strive to normalize the hospital environment by providing psychosocial therapeutic support through a family centered care approach.Their goal is to enrich the experience for our patients and their families.
A Certified Child Life Specialist helps support your child through:
- Education on diagnoses, procedures, and treatment plans through the use of medical play
- Preparation for tests, procedures, and/or surgeries for patients, siblings, and family
- Support during invasive procedures through the use of distraction and coping skills
- Engaging patients in therapeutic and expressive activities to help them cope with fears and anxiety
- Advocating for the unique needs of patients and families during and after hospitalization
- Promoting family centered care through psychosocial support and emotional support for families
- Normalize the hospital environment in an effort to promote optimal growth and development