The latest trend amongst children and teens is video and social media games that encourage catching and collecting virtual characters. While these games encourage activity and family togetherness, they also cause safety and security concerns for families.
Published on: 08/03/2016
Here are some general safety tips on video and social media gaming:
- Children and teens should be vigilant of their surroundings at all times. Don't be a target for a crime.
- When crossing streets, remeember to look both ways and continue looking until safety across.
- Ensure you have permission to enter an area or building. 'I was collecting virtual characters' is not a legal defense against a charge of trespass.
- When using a gaming app in a public place, stay alert to what is going on around you, and who is around you.
- Switch off the app whilst driving. A person's responsibility to drive safely comes first. You have an obligation to other road users to drive with care and attention.
- Children and teens should communicate with their families to let them know where they plan on going and what time they expect to be home.
More information is available on Safe Kids Worldwide