Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon
Director, Miami Children’s Hospital Ambulatory Surgery Center
Director, Pediatric Specialists of America
Dr. Spurdle is employed by Pediatric Specialists of America (PSA), the physician-led multispecialty group practice of Miami Children’s Health System (MCHS). He is a pediatric orthopedic surgeon within the Orthopedic Surgery Program at Nicklaus Children’s Hospital, as well as an assistant professor at the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine. He is also a former member of the U.S. World Cup Ski Team and travels with the U.S. World Cup Ski and Snowboard Teams as an on-snow physician.
Dr. Spurdle earned his medical degree from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York City. He then completed a residency in orthopedic surgery at the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine/Jackson Memorial Hospital. Dr. Spurdle then pursued fellowships in pediatric orthopedic surgery and pediatric sports medicine at Children’s Health of Atlanta at Scottish Rite Hospital in Georgia. His clinical interests include pediatric and adolescent sports medicine, including arthroscopic surgery, skeletal trauma, along with congenital and acquired anomalies of the skeletal system.
Dr. Spurdle is board certified in orthopedic surgery. He is a fellow of the American Academy of Othopaedic Surgeons and a member of the Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America. His work has been published in peer-reviewed journals and he has presented at medical conferences. Since joining Miami Children's Health System in 2009, Dr. Spurdle has been an active member of the medical staff and participated on numerous health system committees. He currently serves on the board of directors for both PSA and the Miami Children's Hospital Ambulatory Surgery Center (MCHASC).
Dr. Spurdle sees patients at the Nicklaus Children’s Hospital main campus and Nicklaus Children’s West Kendall Outpatient Center. He will also have office hours at the new Nicklaus Children’s Pinecrest Outpatient Center when it opens in early 2018.
As one of the largest and most comprehensive pediatric orthopedic practices in Florida, The Nicklaus Children’s Hospital Orthopedic Surgery Program skillfully provides state-of-the-art and compassionate care for athletes of all levels. With the assistance of a dedicated support staff, our pediatric orthopedic surgeons perform over 1,500 surgical procedures each year. The department also conducts an additional 34,000 outpatient visits annually, including the management of more than 6,000 fracture cases and is world-renowned for its spinal surgery program.
1) 2017 Open IRB- Kinesiotape and shoulder Impingement with Physical Therapy
2) 2013-17 Open IRB – Pediatric ACL Reconstruction with Allograft vs Autograft Tissue
3) 2012 South Florida Parenting Magazine. Keeping Young Players - Health Tips, pg. 20
4) 2011 Open IRB- Cast removal study and anxiety reduction in children, MCH
5) 2011 Book Chapter Publication, Boston Children’s Hospital
6) Ed- Millis, Kocher, 2011. Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery. Chapter 43- Arthroscopic Management for Juvenile Osteochondritis Dissecans of the Talus
7) 2010 Article submitted to Oxygen Magazine, ACL Injuries in Female Athletes
8) 2010 Abstract Published AAOS, Pediatric Tibial Spine Fractures- Arthroscopic Suture Fixation.
9) 2009, POSNA E-Poster #66/ Abstract Publication, A New Protocol for Non-operative Management of Pediatric Type 1 Open Fractures.
10) 2007, Jan. Treating Percutaneous Pinning of Supracondylar Humerus Fractures with a Semi-Sterile Technique-The Miami Experience, Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics 27 (1):17-22.
11) 2/2002, Abstract Publication AAOS– Final Program, poster 198. Use of Extra-Corporeal Shock Wave Therapy in the Treatment of Proximal Plantar Fasciitis.
1) 2006 Florida Orthopaedic Society Resident Research Competition– 2nd Place Award
2) 2005 Chicago Marathon Finisher, 2004 /2005 Miami 1/2 Marathon Finisher, 2009 Atlanta ½ marathon finisher
3) 2003 NYU Founder’s Day Award– Academic Achievement
4) 1996 Coaching Award– Outstanding Dedication and Sacrifice
5) 1994 Alternate, Winter Olympics, Lillehammer, Norway
6) 1993 7th Place Finish Breckenridge World Cup Moguls/ United States Ski Team Member/ Federation of International Skiing (FIS)
7) 1992 United States National Championships- Moguls, 5th Place
8) 1992 3rd Place Overall Rocky Mountain Division, Moguls
9) 1992 University of Colorado Ski Team, Moguls, Varsity Captain
10) 1989 Hobart Memorial Sportsmanship Award
11) 1984 Achievement Star for Leadership: 23 Day Outward Bound Mountaineering Course
1) 2014 April - Faculty Lecture. Miami Children’s Hospital. "Top Pediatric Orthopedic Conditions You Don’t Want to Miss"
2) 2014 March - Host Faculty/Lecture, Miami, 49th Annual Pediatric Postgraduate Course. Pediatric Sports Medicine Physical Exam Lecture. Hands-on Workshop
3) 2014 March - Host Faculty/Lecture, Miami, 49th Annual Pediatric Postgraduate Course. "Top Pediatric Orthopedic Conditions You Don’t Want to Miss"
4) 2013 March - Host Faculty/Lecture, Miami, 48th Annual Pediatric Postgraduate Course. "Common Pediatric Orthopedic Conditions"
5) 2012 June - Florida Orthopaedic Society Faculty Speaker, Sarasota, Fl. "Pediatric ACL reconstructions in the Skeletally Immature".
6) 2012 March - Host Faculty/Lecture, Miami, 47th Annual Pediatric Postgraduate Course, "Foot deformities and Treatment Options in Children"
6) 2011 October - Host/Faculty Lecturer, Kendall, Fl. Practical Community Pediatrics, CME lecture, "Common Pediatric Orthopaedic Conditions in Clinic"
7) 2011 March - Host Faculty/Lecture, Miami, 46th Annual Pediatric Postgraduate Course, "Foot deformities and treatment options in children"
8) 2011 July - Core lecture - University of Miami, Dept. of Ortho Surgery, "Pediatric Physical Exam"
9) 2010 February - Core lecture - University of Miami, Dept. of Ortho Surgery - "Myelomeningocele- Part 1"
10) 2010 February - Core lecture - University of Miami, Dept. of Ortho Surgery - "Myelomenigocele- Part 2"
11) 2009 November - Core Lecture - University of Miami, Dept. of Ortho Surgery- "Pediatric Fractures about the Knee"
12) 2009 June - Grand Rounds Presentation, "Pediatric Fractures about the Knee", Scottish Rite, Atlanta, Ga.
13) 2009 January - Grand Rounds Presentation, "Pediatric ACL Injuries and Management", Scottish Rite, Atlanta, Ga.
14) 2008 May - Grand Rounds Presentation, Univeristy of Miami, Miami, Fl. "Management of Pediatric Type 1 Open Fractures"
15) 2008 January - Grand Rounds Presentation, Doctor’s Hospital, Miami, Fl. "Pediatric Ligament Injuries of the Knee"
16) 2007 May - Grand Rounds Presentation, University of Miami, Miami, Fl. "Pediatric Supracondylar Humerus Fractures"
17) 2006 February - Grand Rounds Presentation, Doctor’s Hospital, Miami, Fl. "Sternoclavicular Disorders"
18) 2006 - Florida Orthopaedic Society Podium Presentation, Sandestin, Fl. "Pediatric Supracondylar Humerus Fractures"
19) 2005 - Grand Rounds Presentation, University of Miami, Doctor’s Hospital, "Structure and Function of Ligaments"
20) 2002 - Poster Presentation, AAOS, Dallas, Tx. "Plantar Fasciitis"