Health Information Management (HIM)
The Nicklaus Children's Hospital, formerly Miami Children's Hospital’s Health Information Management Department is committed to respecting and protecting the rights of our patients and families. The Health Information Management staff is responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of all patient records and will be pleased to serve you with your medical records requests. Parents, guardians or patients have the right to either review or receive a copy of their child’s medical records when authorized. Please note we cannot interpret what the information means or discuss it with you.
If you have additional questions after reading the information below, you may speak with someone in the HIM Department during office hours.
Health Information Management (HIM) office address:
5775 Blue Lagoon Drive
Miami, FL 33126
Main: 305-669- 6412
Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday:
8:30 am to 4:30pm
Procedure For Requesting Copies of Medical Record
To obtain a copy of your/your child’s medical record, you must complete and submit the Consent for Release of Information form.
Or you can draft a letter to include the following:
- Patient’s Name
- Patient’s Date of Birth
- Date of Visit
- Description of the information you are requesting (i.e. surgery report, x-ray report, discharge summary, etc)
- Purpose of your request (i.e. personal use, for your physician, attorney, court, etc).)
- Address where the records are to be mailed
- Legal Guardians name and signature
- Legal Guardians relationship to patient (i.e. grandparent, sibling, self.)
- Copy of a picture ID
Please note: If the patient is now over 18 years of age, they are the only person who can authorize the release of their medical records.
Where To Submit Your Request
We do not accept faxed requests. All requests are to be mailed to:
Nicklaus Children's Hospital
Medical Records Department
3100 SW 62 Avenue
Miami, FL 33155
Completed consent for release of information can also be emailed to HIM.email@example.com along with a copy of photo ID.
Charges For Obtaining Copies of Medical Records
If the request is for personal use, per Florida Statutes the cost is $1.00 per page. If the records are being mailed to a physician for treatment purposes, there is no cost to you.
Receiving Your Requested Records
Once the HIM Department receives your request, it will take approximately 5 to 7 business days for the records to be mailed to the address you provided. RECORDS WILL NOT BE FAXED. Individuals picking up records must show a picture ID for verification.
Requesting an Amendment to a Medical Record
Nicklaus Children's Hospital, formerly Miami Children's Hospital, will grant the patient the right to amend their Protected Health Information (PHI) according to federal and state regulations.
Right to Make a Request
If you are requesting an amendment or correction to your or your child’s PHI, you should complete the following:
Processing and Considering the Request
Once you have completed and submitted the request for amendment/correction the Health Information Management Director or designee will respond to your request no later than 60 days by:
- Processing the requested amendment
- Providing the patient with a written denial,
- Providing the patient with a written statement of the reasons for the delay and the date by which Nicklaus Children's Hospital, formerly Miami Children's Hospital, will respond to the request (which date may not be later than 90 days after receipt of the request).