Thank you for your interest in joining Nicklaus Children's Hospital as student. Whether you are joining as an intern, extern, or rotation student, you’ll find Nicklaus Children's Hospital to be a rewarding place to receive hands on experience.
This page is for all students enrolled and majoring in patient and non-patient contact fields of study. These include but are not limited to: Business Administration, Public Relations, Health Care Administration, Nursing, Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy.
Please keep in mind that due to the size of our patient population and staff, the processing of placements may take 4 to 6 weeks.
Step 1: Meet the program requirements
Students will be required to meet the following criteria:
- Clinical Background
- Cleared drug test
- Must currently be in good health
- Current CPR card (if your CPR certification is due to expire during your rotation, you must renew it to have a viable certification)
- Current PPD check or Chest X-Ray
- Vaccination records
- Receive a flu vaccine (if attending during Dec. 1st – April 1st, if you wish to waive the vaccine, you must wear a mask at all times while at the hospital)
Once approved by your school, the school coordinator must contact the Student Coordinator
Step 2: Internship and placement approval
- Your program coordinator will provide you with a copy of the Student Orientation Manual and assessment. You must read it and complete the assessment.
- Your program coordinator will send the files validating the completion of your assessment to the Nicklaus Children’s Hospital Intern Coordinator to process.
- The Intern Coordinator will send your program coordinator your Nicklaus Children’s Hospital Student ID #.
Step 3: During the internship
- Sign in and out at the designated kiosk each day you (a kiosk is located in front of the Volunteer Resource Department)
- Wear your student ID at all times. If you are issued a Hospital ID, wear the hospital ID at all times. Badge must be worn above the waist.
- Wear clean school approved uniform. If no uniform, the hospital dress code is business casual. Jeans are not permitted.
- Follow all Nicklaus Children’s Hospital policies as outlined in the Student Orientation Manual.
Contact the Student Coordinator