The Division of Dermatology at Nicklaus Children's Hospital, focuses on the latest medications and technology available for the specialized treatment of all skin diseases and disorders in infants, children, adolescents and young adults.
Dermatologic Treatments and Procedures
- Acne surgery, acne glycolic acid peels
- Cosmetic Procedures:
- Cryosurgery for the destruction of warts, actinic keratoses, seborrheic keratoses
- Curretage of molluscum contagiosum
- Electrodessication for the destruction of warts, irritated seborrheic keratoses, pyogenic granuloma
- Excision of acne scars, irritated cysts and nevus sebacei, localized epidermal nevi and skin cancers
- Excisions of atypical and irritated nevi and congenital nevi
- Incision and drainage of abcesses
- Intralesional corticosteroid treatment of acne cysts, alopecia areata, keloids
- Medical management with propranolol, oral/intralesional corticosteroids
- Patch testing for allergic contact dermatitis
- Phototherapy (UVB) for psoriasis, and severe eczema
- Skin punch and shave biopsies
- Smart Peel (micro demabrasion), blue light treatments
- Topical treatment with Aldara
As a service to the community, the Division of Dermatology is pleased to offer an annual skin cancer-screening program each May. Participants are offered a complete skin examination for the early detection of squamous cell carcinomas as well as basal cell carcinomas and melanomas. This screening is free of charge and is open to members of the community.
Laser Surgery Center
The Laser Center sees an ever-increasing number of patients who seek treatment of their port-wine stains, angiomas, superficial hemangiomas, hypertrophic scars, and warts with the vascular dye laser. Using the ultra-pulsed CO2 laser for the treatment of epidermal nevi, angiofibromas, nevus sebacei which are extensive can be accomplished with minimal scars. Patients with Nevus of Ito and Ota, as well as tattoo patients, are treated with the Q-switched yag laser with the expected excellent results.
- Vascular dye laser for port wine stains, ulcerated cavernous hemangiomas, pyogenic granulomas, telangiectasias, cherry angiomas, capillary hemangiomas, keloids, hypertrophic scars, and warts.
- Laser hair removal
- Laser tattoo removal
- Ultrapulse CO2 Laser for removal of epidermal nevi
- Topical PUVA for treatment of vitiligo
Cosmetic Procedures Offered
- Fraxel Laser
Inpatient Dermatology Services
Treatment of more severe skin conditions including severe atopic dermatitis, psoriasis, curtaneous infection, TEN, SJS, SSSS, etc.; specialized dermatologic nursing care on 3 South; and whirlpool therapy for severe skin infections, eczema, psoriasis, leg ulcers.
Operating Room services for larger surgical cases, including excision of congenital nevi, cysts, and the treatment of extensive port wine stains and particularly those involving the periorbital area.
Consultation Service covering the emergency room, wards, PICU, NICU, OPC.