Smoky Day Preventive Measures
Published on: 11/07/2013
The following are tips to minimize respiratory discomfort on days of heavy smoke pollution:
- Avoid outdoor activities as much as possible.
- If your child has asthma, please begin his/her respiratory treatment if symptoms such as coughing and/or difficulty breathing appear. Notify your physician immediately.
- Change your air-conditioning filters.
- Avoid outdoor sports during this time since respiratory efforts increase with physical exertion.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water.
- If you are able to smell the smoke inside your home, wet towels and place them at the base of doors that lead to the exterior of the house.
© 2020 Nicklaus Children's Hospital. All Rights Reserved.