Miami Children's Hospital Outdoor Playground Open with Special Dedication

Published on: 01/20/2004
Left to Right: Judith Engroff, Adam’s grandmother; Adam Engroff II, Adam’s grandfather; Elizabeth Engroff, Adam’s mother, and Adam Engroff III, Adam’s father.

MIAMI, FL. — In a recent dedication and ribbon-cutting ceremony, Miami Children's Hospital (MCH) and the Engroff family opened its doors to the newly remodeled outdoor playroom – a fun and safe haven for Miami Children's patients. The Engroff family dedicated the play area in memory of their son, Adam.

Little Adam, a former MCH patient, was diagnosed with cancer and passed away before his second birthday. In remembrance of their son, the Engroffs created the AJ’s Angels Foundation. AJ’s Angels Foundation donated $17,000 to renovate the hospital’s outdoor playground and is instrumental in bringing Miami Dolphins players to visit the children every month.


Founded in 1950, Miami Children's Hospital is the only licensed specialty hospital for children in South Florida. The 268-bed medical complex offers medical care and services for children from birth to age 21.
About Nicklaus Children's Hospital

Founded in 1950 by Variety Clubs International, Nicklaus Children's Hospital is South Florida's only licensed specialty hospital exclusively for children, with nearly 800 attending physicians and more than 475 pediatric subspecialists. The 309-bed hospital, known as Miami Children's Hospital from 1983 through 2014, is renowned for excellence in all aspects of pediatric medicine with many specialty programs routinely ranked among the best in the nation by U.S. News & World Report since 2008. The hospital is also home to the largest pediatric teaching program in the southeastern United States and has been designated an American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) Magnet facility, the nursing profession's most prestigious institutional honor. For more information, please visit www.nicklauschildrens.org.

© 2021 Nicklaus Children's Hospital. All Rights Reserved.