Depending on where your TAYLOR SPATIAL FRAME device is placed, you will have to make clothing modifications and adjustments to your wardrobe.
If the external fixator is on your leg:
- Snap-on sports pants or shorts may be the most comfortable articles of clothing to wear. Some snap all the way up to the waistband, making them easy to get on and off.
- Pants can be altered by cutting the inside seam, up to the crotch, or the outside seam, up to the waistband, and inserting triangular pieces of fabric to widen the leg. You can secure the extra fabric inserts with hooks and loops or with buttons.
- Consider pants with many pockets for carrying multiple items throughout the day.
- During warm weather, you may wish to wear shorts or cut off pants above the external fixator.
For women, loose-fitting dresses or skirts may be your best option. Underwear that ties on both sides at the hip can be used.
- Underwear can be altered by cutting the side seam and using hooks, loops or Velcro® to secure the cut seam.
If the external fixator is on your arm:
- Shirts can be altered by cutting the inside seam of the arm of your shirt and inserting triangular pieces of fabric to widen the arm hole.
- You can secure the extra fabric inserts with hooks and loops or with buttons.
- You can use a shawl or cape to keep warm during colder weather.
- You can cut the cuff off sweaters and shirts to enable the shirt to fit over your arm.
If the external fixator is on your foot:
- You may need to modify a pair of shoes.
- A foot ring with a rubber sole can be added to the fixator. Ask your surgeon about this.
◊ Trademark of Smith & Nephew
© 2023 Nicklaus Children's Hospital. All Rights Reserved.