Comprehensive Epilepsy Center
Nicklaus Children's Brain Institute is an internationally recognized leader in caring for children and infants with epilepsy, welcoming patients from all over the world to visit our Epilepsy Center. The South Florida-based program offers the latest medical and surgical interventions to help children with epileptic seizures.
For children whose seizures cannot be controlled medically, the program has among the largest experience in the nation in conducting pediatric epilepsy surgery, using the latest minimally invasive surgical methods for children including MRI-guided laser ablation surgery (Visualase).
Choose a Global Leader for Treating Epilepsy in Children
- The Brain Institute has offered new and investigational medicines to treat epilepsy for more than 30 years.
- The first center in the world to directly map the brains of infants and children as a first step toward successful pediatric brain surgery.
- We offer specialized pediatric treatment for epilepsy associated with tuberous sclerosis and ion channel disorders.
- We are one of the few centers that conduct epilepsy surgery on children who have normal MRI scans. These present the greatest challenge for the surgical team.
- Our team has pioneered minimally invasive techniques for pediatric epilepsy surgery, including Visualase, a laser technology to remove brain tissue that causes seizures.
State-of-the-Art Technology for Pediatric Epilepsy Care & Treatment
Treating epilepsy can be challenging since each child is unique and will respond differently to various kinds of treatment. Treating epilepsy can be challenging since each child responds differently to various kinds of treatment. Our experienced team will help your family understand the best treatment options available and what might work best for your child.
Our Comprehensive Epilepsy Center offers state-of-the-art technology for patients seeking specialized pediatric treatment and care for managing epileptic seizures.
- 3-D brain imaging
- Computer-modeled diagnosis of epilepsy source
- MRI-guided laser ablation surgery (Visualase) – minimally invasive epilepsy surgery with laser-guided probe
- Precision surgery made possible through intraoperative brain mapping
- Functional MRI to localize vital brain functions to be avoided at surgery
- Neuro-intensive monitoring of children with severe epilepsy
- Comprehensive genetic diagnosis of epileptic disorders
- Partners with Florida International University neuro-engineering program
- Use of optical imaging to help define epileptic tissue
NAEC Level 4 Epilepsy Center
Nicklaus Children's Hospital Comprehensive Epilepsy Center is accredited by the NAEC as a Level 4 epilepsy center. Level 4 epilepsy centers have the professional expertise and facilities to provide the highest-level medical and surgical evaluation and treatment for patients with complex epilepsy.
© 2020 Nicklaus Children's Hospital. All Rights Reserved.