The Nursing Philosophy at Nicklaus Children's Hospital states:
Professional growth is encouraged and integrated into all aspects of nursing practice including participation in professional organizations, encouraging education, certification, research utilization and evidence-based practice.”
The Staff and Community Education Department is responsible for continuing the talent development process supporting Nicklaus Children's Hospital's operating statement: “a network of comprehensive care centers with talented people dedicated to exceeding the expectations…”. The Staff and Community Education Department is also responsible for the implementation of continuing nursing education programs. Training Magazine's annual listing of the top 125 training organizations in the country recognized Nicklaus Children's Hospital in their "Training Top 125" list for organizations that excel at employee learning and development.
At Nicklaus Children’s Hospital, we believe that investing in professional development enhances nursing satisfaction and patient outcomes. Nurses are provided numerous opportunities to advance their knowledge and skills. Some of our educational programs include:
- Nursing Grand Rounds are held monthly and highlight current research and practice topics and feature expert speakers.
- The Preceptor Development Course is a full day event that provides prospective preceptors with a foundation for stepping into the role of developing nurses new to the organization.
- The End of Life Nursing Education Conference provides health care providers with the knowledge to care for palliative care patients.
- Raising the Bar is our Annual Pediatric Nursing Conference that features current themes, research, and evidence-based practice topics.
- Annual Simulation Labs and Nursing Skills Fair
- Specialty-based classes which support advanced knowledge in leading areas including Oncology, Congenital Heart Disease Curriculum, Emergency Nursing and Trauma training, Extracorporeal Life Support, Dialysis, and Diabetes education.
The Aim for Professional and Educational Excellence (APEX) is the nursing professional ladder that provides staff nurses across all settings with a professional development and monetary incentive to go above and beyond in their practice, education, and professionalism. Nurses are given points in a variety of categories to promote nursing professionalism including: education, professionalism, clinical skills, experience, certification, special projects and councils. These points are accumulated during the nurse’s annual evaluation as one of the components on performance appraisal and merit increases. Nurses have an entire year to participate in several opportunities to accumulate APEX points and strive for advancing to a higher level.
© 2020 Nicklaus Children's Hospital. All Rights Reserved.