Injury Prevention and Return to Sport for the Pediatric and Adolescent Athlete
This course will give the athletic trainer/physical therapist an overview of diagnostic, treatment and
prevention strategies to ensure full safe return to sport for the pediatric/adolescent athlete that can
be applied immediately to enhance athlete/patient care.
Purpose, knowledge or performance gap
The purpose of the course is to provide athletic trainers and physical therapists with the specific knowledge necessary to safely return pediatric and adolescent athletes to their sport.
- Surgical and rehabilitative management of shoulder pathology, functional testing for the upper extremity, and overhead athlete screening for injury risk.
- Management of hip pathology in pediatric/ adolescent athletes.
- Injury prevention strategies, surgical decision making and return to sport decision making for pediatric ACL reconstruction.
- Rehabilitation considerations in the youth runner
- Differential diagnosis of lower extremity compartment syndromes
- Strength training for injury prevention and return to sport
- Pain and the adolescent athlete
- Visual Skills Training for Sports Performance, Concussion Rehabilitation, and Prevention
- Sports Medicine for Children With Special Health Care Needs
At the end of this conference, participants will be able to:
- Identify and discuss surgical management of circumferential labral repairs.
- Identify the process to implement functional tests to determine return to sport readiness after upper extremity injury.
- Identify and screen for injury risk factors for the overhead athlete, including implementation of 2D motion analysis.
- Assess differential diagnosis and presentation of athletic hip pathology
- Measure the impact of core stability on athletic hip injuries.
- Apply core stabilization techniques critical to optimizing the rehabilitation of athletic hip injuries.
- Interpret surgical decision making for pediatric ACL reconstruction, including graft type selection.
- Identify the level classification for neuromuscular risk factors of ACL injuries, implement functional outcome measures and standardized testing for return to sport rehabilitation, and implement effective ACL injury prevention screening tools and programs.
- Identify differential diagnosis of lower extremity compartment syndromes
- Describe considerations for youth runners and apply screening and training strategies for injury prevention and performance enhancement.
- Demonstrate and apply Strength training techniques for injury prevention and return to sport.
- Construct sports medicine considerations for children with special healthcare needs.
- Identify methods to improve the athletes performance by making the athlete aware of his or her own visual system findings, give sports specific tips and coaching based on the individual’s visual findings, and prescribe vision training drills.
- Classify and discuss the clinical pain and the clinical implications of pain in the young athlete including fear of re-injury.
|7.0 ATC (application pending)
|7:00 a.m. -
|8:00 a.m. -
Evelyn Terrell, OTD, MHSA, OTR/L
|8:10 a.m. -
|Case: Circumferential Labral Repair
Dr. Stephen Swirsky, D.O.
|8:30 a.m. -
|2D motion analysis and functional return to sport testing for the overhead athlete
Anthony Salvaggio, MS, LAT, ATC, CSCS, EMT-B
|9:00 a.m. -
|Graft type selection and surgical decision making for ACL injuries the pediatric athlete
Dr. Craig Spurdle, MD
|9:15 a.m. -
|Return to sport decision making and injury prevention strategies for ACL injuries
Lauren Butler, PT, DPT, SCS
|9:50 a.m. -
|Pain and the adolescent athlete
Melissa Schorpion, PT, DPT, SCS, OCS
|10:35 a.m. -
|10:45 a.m. -
|Differential diagnosis of lower extremity compartment syndromes
Dr. Annie Casta, MD
|11:05 a.m. -
|Considerations in youth runners
Jeffery Fernandez, PT, DPT
|11:50 a.m. -
|12:05 p.m. -
|1:05 p.m. -
|Strength training for injury prevention and return to sport
Stephanie Svoboda, DPT, MS, CSCS, USAW
|1:35 p.m. -
|Sports Medicine for children with special healthcare needs
Dr. Rani Gereige, M.D, M.P.H, FAAP
|2:20 p.m. -
|Visual Skills Training for Sports Performance, Concussion Rehabilitation, and Prevention
Dr. Lawrence D. Lampert, O.D, F.C.O.V.D.
|3:05 p.m. -
|3:15 p.m. -
|Hip pathology in pediatric/adolescent athletes
Dr. Kevin Horowtiz, MD
|4:00 p.m. -
|Core Stabilization for Rehabilitation of Athletic Hip Injuries
Melissa Ramos, PT, DPT, PCS
|4:30 p.m. -
|4:40 p.m. -
Evelyn Terrell OTD, MHSA, OTR/L
Please complete the form below to register.
Payment by Credit Card
Outside Participants Registration $135
MCHS/Nicklaus Children's Hospital Employee Registration $99
Students Registration $67.50
Payments by Check
Please make all checks payable to: Miami Children's Health System
Miami Children's Health System
Send payment to:
Attn: Leslie Gutierrez
Learning and Development Services
3100 SW 62 Avenue
Miami, FL 33155
MCHS / Nicklaus Children's Hospital Employees
Cancellation accepted up to 2 weeks prior to course with full refund. No refunds within 14 days of course.
Please add "Sports Symposium" to your learning space in Myles via the MCHS Intranet Portal.
For more information
For more information or help with this course please call 305-662-8282.