Dr. Asghar is an attending spine surgeon with the Department of Orthopedics at Nicklaus Children’s Hospital. He comes to us from the Shriners Hospital for Children, Philadelphia, where he was an attending pediatric spine surgeon. He received his medical degree from St. George’s University School of Medicine in Grenada. He served his residency at the University of Medicine and Dentistry, New Jersey, New Jersey Medical School and later completed a fellowship in pediatric spine surgery at the Philadelphia Shriners Hospital for Children.
Dr. Asghar is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery, the Scoliosis Research Society, Society of Military Orthopedic Surgeons, and the North American Spine Society. He is one of the designated founding members of the Society for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery and has published and presented extensively on the treatment of complex pediatric spinal deformities. His special interests are developing minimally invasive techniques for surgical correction of pediatric spinal deformity and mechanisms for growth modulation of the spine.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Candidate (AAOS)
- Scoliosis Research Society (SRS)
- North American Spine Society (NASS)
- Society for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgeons (SMISS)
- Designated Founding Member
- Fox Pediatric Spine Study Group
- Harms Study Group
- Society for Lateral Access Surgeon (SOLAS)
- Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons (SOMOS)
- American Medical Association(AMA)
- Philadelphia Orthopaedic Society (POS)
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America (POSNA)
1. Tantorski M, Samdani AF, Cahill PJ, Ranade A, Koch S, Clements DH, Betz RR, Asghar J, Triggered Electromyography for Placement of Thoracic Pedicle Screws: Is it Reliable?, Eur Spine J. 2010 Dec 18
2. Cahill PJ, Marvil S, Cuddihy L, Schutt C, Idema J, Clements DH, Antonacci MD, Asghar J, Samdani AF, Betz RR. Autofusion in the Immature Spine Treated With Growing Rods. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010 Jul 30.
3. Betz RR, Ranade A, Samdani AF, Chafetz R, D'Andrea LP, Gaughan JP, Asghar J, Grewal H, Mulcahey MJ. Vertebral body stapling: a fusionless treatment option for a growing child with moderate idiopathic scoliosis. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010 Jan 15;35(2):169-76.
4. Smith JR, Samdani AF, Pahys J, Ranade A, Asghar J, Cahill P, Betz RR. The role of bracing, casting, and vertical expandable prosthetic titanium rib for the treatment of infantile idiopathic scoliosis: a single-institution experience with 31 consecutive patients. J Neurosurg Spine. 2009 Jul; 11(1):3-8.
5. Asghar J, Pahys J, Samdani AF, D'Andrea LP, Guille JT, Clements DH, Betz RR, CT Evaluation of Rotation Correction in AIS: A Comparison of an All Pedicle Screw Construct vs. a Hook & Rod System. Spine. April 15, 2009
6. Samdani AF, Fayssoux RF, Asghar J, McCarthy J, Betz RR, Gaughan J, Mulcahey MJ, Chronic SCI in the Pediatric Population: Does MRI Correlate withthe ISCSCI Examination? Spine. January 2009
7. Capo JT, Svach D, Asghar J, Orillaza NS, Sabatino CT. Biomechanical Stability of Different Fixation Constructs for ORIF of Radial Neck Fractures. Orthopedics, October 2008
8. Samdani AF, Torre-Healy A, Asghar J, Herlich AM, Betz RR. Strategies to reduce blood loss during posterior spinal fusion for neuromuscular scoliosis: a review of current techniques and experience with a unique bipolar electrocautery device. Surg Technol Int. 2008;17:243-8. Review.
9. Noggle, JC, Sciubba, DM, Samdani, AF, Anderson, DG, Betz, RR, Asghar J. Minimally invasive direct repair of lumbar spondylolyis using pedicle screw and hook construct. Neurosurgical Focus. August 2008
10. Vives MJ, Kishan S, Asghar J, Peng B, Reiter MF, Milo S, Livingston D. Spinal Injuries in Pedestrians Struck by Motor Vehicles. J Spinal Disord Tech. 2008 Jun;21(4):281-287
11. Pahys JM, Chicorelli AM, Asghar J, Betz RR, Samdani AF. Cervical Pseudo-meningocele due to occult hydrocephalus. Spine. 2008 May 20;33(12):E394-6
12. Samdani AF; Asghar, J; Pahys J; D'Andrea, LP; Betz RR. Concurrent Spinal Cord Untethering and Scoliosis Correction: Case Report. Spine. 32(26):E832-E836, December 15, 2007.
Non Peer-Reviewed Publications
1. Betz RR, Samdani AF, Djurasovic M, Bailey SI, Courtney Brown, JahanGir Asghar, Linda P. D’Andrea, John Dimar, Harry L. Shufflebarger, John Gaughan: PediGuard™, A solution for the Challenges of Pedicle Screw Placement, White Paper; October 2007
1. Asghar J, Samdani AF, Cahill, Profound Post Operative Weakness after administration of Dantrium in Patient with Suspected Malignant Hyperthermia after Scoliosis Surgery
2. Asghar J, Sciubba DM, Samdani AS, Cahill PJ, Clements DH, Antonacci MD, Betz RR. "The majority of initial coronal imbalance following fusion surgery for AIS improves within 6 months."
Invited Lecture/Grand Rounds
1. Asghar J, "Management of Pediatric Spine and Spinal Cord Injury" Pediatric Anesthesia Grand Rounds", Temple University Children’s Medical Center, March 2007
2. Asghar J, "Pediatric Spine Trauma" The Philadelphia Howard H. Steel Pediatric Orthopaedic Review course, Shriners Hospitals, Philadelphia, Oct, 2007
3. Asghar J, "Stabilizing the Pediatric Spine after a Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury", Philadelphia Shriner’s Spinal Cord Injury Nursing Education Conference", June 2008
4. Asghar J, "A Multi-disciplinary Approach to Complex Spinal Deformity" Medicine Grand Rounds, Punta Gorda FL, December 2008
5. Asghar J, "Minimally Invasive Approach to Scoliosis: Proof of Concept" NYU-HJD Spine Grand Rounds, New York City, NY, January 13, 2009
6. Asghar J, "Pediatric Spine Trauma" Miami Children's Hospital ER-Trauma Grand Rounds, Philadelphia, April, 2010
Peer Reviewed Activities
1. Reviewer, Spine Journal May 2010 to present