Also known as: CLOVE syndrome, CS, congenital lipomatous overgrowth, vascular malformations, epidermal nevis and scoliosis/skeletal/spinal anomalies.
What is CLOVES syndrome?
CLOVES syndrome is a very rare disorder, one of a group of congenital (present at birth) “overgrown syndromes”, that is characterized by the presence of several problems together. CLOVES stands for:
- Epidermal Nevis
- Spinal / Skeletal / Anomalies / Scoliosis
This disorder includes: large collections (masses) of fatty tissue, complex vascular malformations, patches of overgrown skin, spine problems, other bone and joint abnormalities and stiff or weak muscles.
What causes CLOVES syndrome?
CLOVES syndrome is due to a genetic mutation that occurs while a fetus is developing in the womb. It does not appear to run in families.
What are signs/the symptoms of CLOVES syndrome?
Signs and symptoms of CLOVES syndrome include:
- Soft fatty masses seen at birth, affecting one or both sides of the body, frequently located in the abdomen, buttocks, flanks, armpits, and back.
- Vascular abnormalities, such as include dilated veins on arms and legs, and abnormalities of lymphatic vessels.
- Large wide hands or feet and other abnormalities of the arms and legs are common.
- Skin birthmarks
- Spinal anomalies like scoliosis (curved spine)
- Kidney problems
What are CLOVES syndrome care options?
As there are a wide range of problems and complications, a team of pediatric specialists and subspecialists is required to deliver optimal care.
Reviewed by: Jack Wolfsdorf, MD
This page was last updated on: 6/12/2018 11:32:39 AM
Join Nicklaus Children's Hospital and the Miami Diaper Bank by donating new packages of diapers to patients and community families in need. Learn more.
Weekly Support Programs
This program is provided by a certified yoga instructor. It offers children and teens the following benefits: managing stress through breathing, self-awareness, healthy movement and meditation. Yoga also promotes strength, flexibility, coordination and body awareness. Learn more.