Shwachman-Diamond Syndrome

Also known as: SDS, Shwachman-Bodian-Diamond syndrome.

What is Shwachman-Diamond syndrome?

Shwachman-Diamond syndrome is a rare complex disorder that affects a child's bone marrow, pancreas and bones (and sometimes other parts of the body). Bone marrow failure results in not enough of some or all of the blood cells being produced. This leads to problems such as neutropenia, anemia and other disorders. A lack of enzymes from the pancreas leads to poor food absorption and in addition skeletal abnormalities may be present.
 

What causes Shwachman-Diamond syndrome? 

Shwachman-Diamond syndrome is caused by a mutation in the gene called SBDS (90% of children- in the other 10% the cause is unknown) and both parents need to have the abnormality for the child to inherit it.
 

What are the symptoms of Shwachman-Diamond syndrome? 

The symptoms are varied. Common symptoms include frequent infections, greasy foul smelling diarrhea stools, poor growth, fatigue, weakness, easy bruising and bleeding, and problems with bone development and growth (rib cage abnormalities, curvature of the spine, problems with bone formation in the hips and knees etc). Children have a higher risk of developing other blood disorders.
 

What are Shwachman-Diamond syndrome care options? 

The primary approach to treatment for Shwachman-Diamond syndrome is to try to manage the symptoms related to the disease with pancreatic enzyme replacement, antibiotics, other medications as needed, blood transfusions, and orthopedic devices/surgery. For some children a stem cell transplant may cure the bone marrow failure. 

Reviewed by: Jack Wolfsdorf, MD, FAAP

This page was last updated on: 5/24/2018 10:36:42 AM


Upcoming Events

Camp UOTS

Camp U.O.T.S. is an annual weeklong, overnight camp for children with cancer and blood disorders who are treated at Nicklaus Children’s Hospital.

Learn more and register

Camp Roaring Sun

Camp Roaring Sun is a camp exclusively for children ages 6 through 12 with diabetes who are treated at Nicklaus Children's Hospital.

Learn more and register

From the Newsdesk

Meet Pedro Pagán, MD - The Division of Endocrinology at Nicklaus Children's Hospital
04/11/2018 — Dr. Pedro Pagán is employed by Pediatric Specialists of America (PSA), the physician-led multi-specialty group practice of Nicklaus Children's Health System. He is a pediatric endocrinologist within the Division of Pediatric Endocrinology at Nicklaus Children's Hospital and sees patients at Nicklaus Children's Hospital and the Nicklaus Children's Aventura Care Center. https://www.nicklauschildrens.org/endocrinology
Neuro Oncology Holiday Party 2017
12/15/2017 — Children being treated by the Cancer & Blood Disorders Center, Neuro Oncology Program at Nicklaus Children’s Hospital and their families took part in a holiday celebration.

Video

video
This video will teach you how to properly care for a gastrostomy tube. The video will review how to clean a gastrostomy tube site, how to give a feedings and what to do if the tube becomes dislodged.