Restless Leg Syndrome
Also known as: Restless legs syndrome, RLS
What is restless legs syndrome?
Restless legs syndrome (RLS) is a movement disorder in which the child or adolescent reports an uncomfortable and irresistible urge to move his or her legs.
What are the signs/symptoms?
- Uncomfortable leg sensations
- Uncontrollable urge to move legs
- Sleep disruption
- Excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS) or feeling tired all the time
- Difficulty falling asleep
- School performance problems
What causes restless legs syndrome in children?
The exact cause of restless legs syndrome is not known, however it can be associated with a low iron level or sometimes linked with diabetes, kidney or other neurological diseases.
How is restless legs syndrome diagnosed and treated?
A sleep study is recommended for the diagnosis of restless legs syndrome. Treatment options may include the following:
- Change in bedtime habits
- Avoiding caffeine
- Incorporating a healthy and well-balanced diet
- Relaxation techniques
This page was last updated on: 9/27/2018 8:37:04 AM