Swimming Instruction and Water Safety Program
At the Nicklaus Children's Dan Marino Outpatient Center, we proudly provide swimming and safety programs. Our swimming pool is enclosed and heated for year-round comfort. Teaching plans are individualized and all children, including infants and children with special needs, will be able to learn. Our instructors are highly trained, experienced and caring professionals who teach with a passion and goal of promoting knowledge and safety to help prevent accidents in the water and drowning incidents. Parents are encouraged to be involved throughout the entire learning process to help their child retain skills.
Why are swimming lessons important?
Teaching children to be safe in and around water is our priority. Here are some reasons why:
- From 2002 to 2006, Broward County records show an average of nine drowning deaths a year among children under the age of 5.
- In 2005, the Florida DOH reported that 68 children between the ages of 1 to 4 drowned in Florida.
- Florida DOH records indicate that 63 percent (43) of the 68 drowning accidents reported in 2005 happened in Florida swimming pools.
While it is crucial to keep an eye on children near a body of water, it is equally important to make sure that they are comfortable in the water and respectful of its dangers. Our Nicklaus Children's Dan Marino Outpatient Center instructors apply the most effective teaching techniques to make learning a fun experience for everyone.
- Infant Survival Aqua Classes (6 months to 2 years old). Little Sea Horses -
This parent-and-child class helps little swimmers learn at their own pace.
- Preschool Level 1 & 2 (3 years to 5 years old). Dolphins -
This level allows students to gain confidence with existing skills while developing new ones.
- Level 3 (6 years to 21 years old). Marlins –
This level develops stroke confidence and increases endurance to promote the ability to swim longer distances.
- Level 4 (6 years to 21 years old). Sharks -This level will teach students to improve and refine various swimming styles.
Other programs available at the Nicklaus Children's Dan Marino Outpatient Center include:
- Adaptive swimming lessons for special needs children.
- Hands-on training for Marino Swim Central Special Needs Certification.
- Individual and group lessons.
- Infant survival course.
- Nicklaus Children's Dan Marino Outpatient Center Summer Camp (Camp DMC) – recreational and instructional classes.
- Proper stroke and development instruction.
Children excel at their own rate in our classes. Our instructors guide and provide positive, corrective feedback as their students practice, experience success and receive praise for their efforts while developing skills and become safe swimmers.